Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Halloweenie of the Day

So, as we move closer to Halloween, I thought I'd share some of my favorite scary things. And so with that in mind...



Silent Hill started off as a video game, one solidly in what is known as the survival horror genre. There's definately enough story in these games to keep my wife and I playing. Of course, playing in the dark with the surround sound on descourages us from sleeping. Again. Ever. So we may as well play a little longer, right? It's really little environmental things that catch us with the Silent Hill games. Like searching through a decrepit and abandoned public restroom and listening to the main character knock on a stall door-- and being answered, once, with a return knock.

BANG


And knock as much as you like after that, you can't get it to repeat. You just never know when something like that is going to happen. The monsters you fight are almost secondary. Almost. The mosters are seriously disturbing too. Imagine meeting one of these nurses in an abandoned hospital... *shiver*

Silent Hill has done well enough critically to warrent a feature film, now available on DVD. If you aren't into gaming but want to find out what the feel of the story and the environment are, I suggest you rent it. Then watch it with the lights out and the surround sound on.

Go on. I dare you. Find out why anytime my wife and I find ourselves someplace truly creepy, we turn to each other and say: Welcome to Silent Hill.

No comments: