Thursday, May 04, 2006

Close to Home

You know how excited I get to find theological and spiritual implications in popular culture. I don't apologize for that, I think it's important to think about what we watch and what we listen to, and as a person of faith, the theological and spiritual implications are important to me.

But sometimes I forget to pay attention to the theological basics that brought me to the love of that intersection.

When I read the beginning of Genesis, I hear that we are all made in the image of God. In the image of God, God made them, male and female God made them... Therefore, I believe that it behooves us to seek out God's image in one another. I believe that you can extend this idea into the creations that human beings make. Does that make sense? I'm trying to say that we should be seeking the image of God in one another, and that we can also find evidence of God's image in the paintings and sculptures and music and stories and poetry and furniture and television shows and movies and video games and plastic bobble head dogs and the cars that they ride in! And it's fun to go looking for that image, even when the search is frustrating and seemingly fruitless.

But it's easy to get caught up in the creativity and loose track of those basics. That it's about the people.

Luckily, God has many, many ways of breaking us out of our ruts. And people have a way of catching you off guard. Take for example, this post from my wife's blog. Seriously, go check it out, I'm not typing it all out again, and I'll wait. I'm feeling very patient.

Waiting...


What? Check again... did you scroll down far enough?


Waiting...


Ok, back? Good! Do you see what I mean? I've been putting together mix CD's cause I've been catching the image of God in the music, and Jenny... Jenny's been thinking these wonderful prophetic thoughts about how very blessed we are, and how unfortunate others are. She sees our responsibilities to those less fortunate and has devised a plan to help!

Jenny says that she's only one person, and she realistically thinks that her project can only raise enough money for a share, a mere fraction of what it takes to make a difference for one village. I watch our hit counters go up, and I can't help thinking that we can do better than that. I don't know the first thing about organizing an internet event, but if you all can make things like the Knitting Olympics happen, then you can help me do this: Support Jenny's project. Start a Socks for Sheep campaign in your own hometown and help it to spread across the internet.

Help Jenny make a difference.

Be good to each other,
Rev. Josh
050406

No comments: