Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Prophets

Most people today hear the word "prophet" and they think of Nostradamus gazing into the future as he recorded his spooky predictions with a quill by candlelight in mysterious coded language that if we could just figure out... But that's not what I mean when I say the word "prophet." When I say "prophet" I'm talking about the Biblical concept of a prophet. In fact, you'll notice if you go to dictionary.com that the definition of predictor or soothsayer is only the third definition. The first definition, "A person who speaks by divine inspiration or as the interpreter through whom the will of a god is expressed," is what I'm getting at.

When I use the word "prophetic" I am usually referring to the kind of message Biblical prophets pretty consistently were given to deliver. It really shouldn't be too surprising that all the prophets were given pretty consistent messages, after all it is the will of the One God that was being expressed. I think my favorite iteration of the prophetic message is Micah 6:8, "He has told you, O mortal, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?"

I think that we're all capable of doing prophetic things. I think we all have the capability to speak by divine inspiration. I believe that there are people walking the earth who are (even if they don't know it themselves) people through whom the will of God is interpreted. The key is to listen. I mean really listen. Listen to the still small voices inside. Listen to your neighbor. I think Jesus would add, listen to your enemy. Listen to Jiminy Cricket chirping away on your shoulder, singing "I'm no fool..." Listen.

So here are a couple of prophetic things that I've heard recently. I've made reference to the first one, and I hope that some of you have been waiting on bated breath for me to get permission to share it. So here it is, a poem by Elizabeth T.

The Pulse of my America

My grandmother Helen grew a Victory Garden
Seed by seed,
Her fingers deep in the earth
Feeling the vibrations of the bombs
Miles and miles away
Destruction is never isolated.

In that simple town,
Under complex stars
On top of linen sheets
She prayed for peace.

So do I, sixty years later
For my country is not one of violence.
I do not want my country to be associated
With screaming women
With life changing or life killing explosions
And human rights violations
Those things do not represent Americans.

I protest and pray
For change, for peace
And dig my fingers into soil deep
Feeling the pulse of my America.


Elizabeth T.
May 8, 2006



The second prophetic thing I'd like to mention, well, mention again, is Socks for Sheep. My wife, Jen, came up with this great idea to raise money for Heifer International through her knitting.
She's feverishly knitting fun things to sell at the Church Fair this November for the purpose of purchasing a Knitting Basket through Heifer for the purpose of giving four wool-producing animals to a family that needs it. I hope that the news of her dedication will inspire you, oh people of the internet, to continue Socks for Sheep drives wherever you are, in whatever way you see fit, utilizing whatever talents you have. Soon Jen will set up a button that will allow you to make donations to a PayPal account for Heifer. So keep reading, do what you can, and please support Jen's idea, because I truly believe that it is a prophetic word.

Be good to each other,
Rev. Josh
053106

No comments: