Friday, June 16, 2006

Father's Day


I'm preaching this Sunday, which means I won't be getting home to see my dad for Father's Day. So I thought I'd put up a pic and the first part of my sermon, so you can see and appreciate my father. (Sorry guys, I'll find a better pic next time I get home...)

I can’t speak for all of you, but to me it feels perfectly appropriate that Music Appreciation Sunday falls on Father’s Day this year. I’ve grown up loving music of many kinds, and I give credit for that to my father. Now, to be fair, my mom did drive my brother and myself to our piano lessons, and she was the one who would go out and find the tapes and CD’s we wanted for birthdays and Christmas—heck, she even listened to them with us, even when she didn’t like what we were listening to. But my Dad is the musician in the family. I don’t know if I would have continued to serve in the choirs of North Stonington Congregational if I hadn’t had my father as an example. I don’t know if I would have been interested in playing percussion in middle school and high school if I didn’t know that he’d played snare in his high school marching band. I’m sure that I wouldn’t have the appreciation for doo-wop and good ol’ country music that I have if it weren’t for his records and evenings watching the Statler Brothers. And so as I further develop my love of music and my position on music in worship, I pause to thank my father.

Thanks, Dad.

No comments: